BetweentheBookends

A Blog about Connecticut libraries and librarians

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Better than Google


Tonight I was a guest lecturer at Karen DeLoatch's Introduction to Public Services class in the Library Tech program at Capital Community College. I look forward to these annual visits because the community college students are always so interesting, an adjective that is never used to describe my presentation on the mysteries of library cooperation in CT. But tonight was different, because both I and the students became InfoAnytime customers. What I didn't know until tonight was how cool it is to get a serious question answered by a real librarian. Usually, when I have a question, I do like most people; I go to Google, the source of all knowledge. And, having logged many hours at various library reference desks, I am pretty good at coaxing information out of Google, but then I met Julia, and she is better than Google.
Julia, (which may not be her real name,) is one of many professional librarians employed by Tutor.com to answer questions in cyberspace chat sessions while they are sitting at their computers somewhere in America. At 8:21 pm, I clicked on the InfoAnytime logo and typed in Chris, (which may not be my real name,) and then a student's question: "What are the CT DEP regulations for the disposal of aqueous waste?" At 8:25 pm (as I was becoming impatient, accustomed as I am to Google's instant gratification,) Julia welcomed me to our online reference session. She did the whole reference interview thing that I learned in library school, but in chat mode, rather than across a desk. When I typed that I was just starting my search, she sent me the CT DEP website and typed, "Please take a look at it and tell me if it's complete enough, or if we should keep searching." After looking at the site, the student determined that she needed more specific information on the disposal problem. Julia then sent two more websites, which we scanned until the student determined that she had the info she needed. It was 8:38pm. The student was thrilled. The class was engaged, and I was in love.
The thrill of a question being asked and answered successfully shouldn't have come as such a shock to me, since I am the official shill for InfoAnytime. Until tonight, however, it was just another program to administer and promote. I know how much it costs ($175,000,) how many libraries contribute to its cost (180,) how many sessions have been completed since August (3220,) and which libraries' customers use it the most (Capital, Manchester Gateway, and Norwalk Community Colleges, CCSU, Post University, the University of New Haven, and the public libraries of Danbury, Hartford, Manchester, Milford, Stamford, Trumbull, Wethersfield, Hamden, and Glastonbury.) What I didn't know until tonight was how really valuable it is to chat with a real librarian, anywhere, anytime, 24/7. My relationship with Google will never be the same. I've met Julia, and she is better. She's a librarian.
Try it yourself. Go to http://www.infoanytime.org. Click on "Launch InfoAnytime" and ask your question. You may have to wait five minutes, and you may not get Julia, but you will get a librarian, and she will get you the answer.